When you walk in the door for a job interview, you want to be calm, cool and confident. Here are ten things to do on the day of the interview that will prepare you for success:
- Arrive early. Nothing is worse than being rushed. Give yourself plenty of time to get there and park. Wait nearby until a few minutes before the interview.
- Review your notes. Bring along the job description and all the research you have done on the company and interviewers. Go over it again while you wait.
- Rehearse the stories you’ve planned to illustrate your match to the job and your value.
- Eat a healthy snack.
- Use the restroom elsewhere, that way your opening line with your potential employer won’t be “May I use your restroom?”
- Freshen up. Brush teeth, touch-up makeup, smooth clothes, comb hair etc.
- Turn off cell phone. Even vibrate can be distracting, so turn it all the way off.
- Ditch coffee, gum, water bottle, snacks. Walk in with free hands and an empty mouth.
- Do affirmations. Create and bring along a list of affirmations about your value and your ability to share that value with others. Remind yourself of why they should hire you.
- Smile. Prepare to greet each person with warmth, eye contact and a natural smile.
Now you’re ready for a winning interview!
Tell us, what is your best tip for interview day? Do you have a good luck charm or a special routine? We would love to hear about it. Leave a comment below.