You’ve never done this “job search” thing before, or maybe you’ve only dipped into the process when you got a summer job last year. Let’s talk about what actions new college graduates can take in today’s job market.
- Sanitize your web image. Potential employers are increasingly Googling candidates, looking at LinkedIn profiles, and checking Facebook profiles. College students are frequent offenders when it comes to having a not-so-professional “web reputation.” As a job seeker, clean up your online image by removing or privatizing photos and other content. It’s important to create a positive web presence through a LinkedIn Profile, a professional blog or a professional web page.
- Put Facebook to work for you. Besides being an easy way to connect to your inner circle, Facebook also has tools for job seekers. Given that most new college grads are very familiar with Facebook, be sure to take advantage of it.
- Become an amazing networker. Today’s job market is driven by connections and those connections are built through networking. Recent grads may feel their network is small. Continually growing a network is vital. Start small and constantly look for ways to find and build a relationship with new contacts.
- Connect your learning to the promise of future success. Recent graduates need to show how what their education is connected to the needs of a company and how their skills link to future success for an employer. The best way to demonstrate your potential is through examples of past successes. Communicate clearly how school projects, internships and other skills translate directly into solid results for an organization.
- Consider an internship. In a competitive job market, relevant experience and demonstrated success are more critical than ever. An internship allows an inexperienced new grad to go from green to seasoned, show abilities, build competencies, get recommendations and grow his or her network.
By taking these right actions and being prepared, a new college grad can avoid unnecessary frustration and begin a new and exciting career.