You aced the interview! You walk out feeling proud and relieved. It didn’t just go well, it went great! Before you pop a champagne cork, here are five things you must do:
- Send a personalized thank-you email to each person you met with. Express gratitude for the meeting, restate your interest in the job, refer back to something you heard in the interview and bring out your match to the job and ability to solve problems for the company.
- Circle back to the person or people in your network connected to this job and/or company. Thank them for their help so far and engage them in helping assure you go to the next level.
- Add to your notes from the interview with any additional thoughts, or questions you might want to ask in additional interviews or before accepting a job offer.
- Jot down notes about what you were asked in the interview, what you felt went well and what you would do differently next time. If you don’t get this job, your observations will be helpful in the future.
- Do at least one item on your job search to do list. Do not stop job searching. Be proactive in continuing to generate and pursue additional opportunities while you wait to hear on this one. You will feel much more positive knowing you have other irons on the fire if this one fizzles.
Now you can celebrate! Share your success with a friend or partner and savor with satisfaction your positive interview experience.