One of the most baffling things about job search is that we are not trained for it. If you’re new to the job market, you don’t really know the process. If you’ve job searched before, things have probably changed a lot since the last time you were looking for a job. Here are some of the key changes that job seekers need to be aware of in order to lead a successful search.
Source of job leads
Back in the day you went to the classifieds to find open positions. Today advertized jobs are the least productive source of job leads. Each advertized job generates hundreds of responses making it difficult to stand out. The hidden job market including jobs uncovered by networking is now the prime source of good leads and the best way to move your job search forward.
- Read: How the Hidden Job Market Works
- Focus on developing leads through networking and sleuthing
Role of the internet
The internet, especially social media, plays an increasing role in job search. Recruiters use the internet both to share openings and to locate candidates. Job seekers must develop an online profile and online presence in order to be found.
- Optimize your LinkedIn profile
- Join and participate in online groups
- Follow recruiters and target companies on Twitter
- Read: Help! I Have No Online Presence, and focus on online presence
The old saying “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know” has never been more true. A strong network is the surest path to finding a job, making it the biggest focus for many job seekers.
- Continually build your network focusing on widening your circle of contacts
- Make strategic use of your network to help your job search
- Read: Using Your Network in Your Job Search
- Read: Finding Connections When Applying for a Job
Achievement based assessment
In today’s job market, hiring managers can afford to be very picky. They look for a very close match between the needs of the job and the applicant’s abilities. They focus on achievements rather than on titles held or years on the job.
- Read: Why Years of Experience Don’t Count
- Make resume achievement based
- Continue to create achievements during job search and add new ones to resume
Keeping aware of the latest trends in job search will lead you toward success. Stay abreast on changes and best practices in job search.